Monday, January 09, 2006

Fairies




When I was sixteen, I received a book which to this day, I still have. It was "Fairies" by Edward L.Gardner. The book was about two young English girls in their teens who were best friends in the village of Cottingley in Yorkshire during the summer of 1920. To while away the time that summer, the two girls set out to capture the fairies they claimed they saw with their camera. At that time, no one could prove the authenticity of the photos and thus they caused quite a stir throughout the countryside. I remember being in awe of the photos I was seeing on the pages of the book during my sixteenth summer. I still find them to be somewhat intriguing and enjoy the book each time I pick it up and browse through it. Here are a few of the pictures that had so many people questioning the existence of fairies.